Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dud Missions and False Hopes

I know I said I was going to try and post to this electronic diary weekly, but honestly, I have been in such a rute lately that I just haven't felt like it.  Also, I post so much on Facebook it seems like Im working twice to give the same information, maybe Ill slow down on Facebook.  Well, I titled this post "Dud Missions and False Hopes" because a couple weeks (the day after I finally got our stamped visa in our passport) ago I found out that I am unable to teach until the upcoming school year.  I was originally told that once I get my official stamped dependent visa in my passport that it was just a matter of transferring it to a work visa, which could take 2-3 days.    I was told that I would now be hired as a local since I live here and may have to pay 500AED fee to apply.  When you apply internationally ADEC pays that fee. Yes, the person actually said, 2-3 days and even mentioned the 500 AED like he really knew what he was talking about.  I found out today that I still have to go through the same exact process I would have if I was still in the states.  On top of all this, ADEC sent out an announcement that if there is anyone still in security by the end of the week they would have to wait until next school year.  Honestly, that makes since, it's nearing the end of the year and anyone being hired now is really just collecting a pay check because the students stop coming at the end of May/middle of June, although I would have like to be one of those "pay check collectors".  So, I continue to wait for my weekly email from Teachaway that starts out "Sorry to inform you...".  In the meantime, I have learned how to effectively homeschool my children, Brian and I started working out with a group at the park 2 days a week, and my children and I spend at minimum 4 days a week at the pool.  So... I guess things could be worse, Brian continues to remind me that for the past 2 years all I said to him was "I really need a break" and now that I have one I don't want it.

The people here are very nice, for the most part, especially the younger generation.  Everyone is so fascinated with Anais' braids and beads it's funny.  We've even had people ask to take pictures of her hair.  Now I said, they know they would be offended if I asked them to take a picture of them with their abaya on, but I go along with it, no harm.  I just hope my daughters picture isn't plastered all over the internet- lol.  There are times, many times, that I almost forget that I'm in another country.



No comments:

Post a Comment